Thursday, July 14, 2011

Open Myself to Persuasion

Today’s course on Differentiated Instructions for diverse learners by Ai Ling was most helpful in the unpacking many of the “Big Ideas” of DI. I got a better understanding of the “why” and “how” to differentiate. A range of instructional strategies were also illustrated and shared with actual examples of implementation in lessons. Interesting enough she spoke on the theme which I will like to speak on this week, that is of “Persuasion”.

During my short time as team leader, I came to realize that as good leaders we don’t just ask the right kind of questions. There is a need to also listen thoughtfully to the answers given, and most importantly, through what was heard and learnt will cause me to see matters from a better perspective. In another words, I will allow myself to be persuaded! I have seen known leaders who seemed excessively easy to persuade. Even at times it appeared as though they tended to agree with whomever they talked to last. Of course, there is another side where leaders who is confused of persistence and mixed it with obstinacy and refused to see the merit in anyone’s ideas other than their own.

My own resolution is to make a conscious effort to be open to persuasion whenever it is warranted, even in areas in which I have the utmost confidence in my judgment. I need to listen carefully to what others tell me and assess their views objectively. I think in order to start this is to say to myself that perhaps differing views may be right and that I won’t dismiss it as weak or abandon it as ill-conceived. So there is this need to be more of the Learner stances rather than the judgment stance!

To put it in another way, I will say to myself that I will make the daily activities an exercise in active listening. Even more important, I will ensure that such exercise is one with active understanding!

1 comment:

  1. This is a powerful concept andpractice that can start and sustain Generative Conversations. This will allow others to be genuinely engaged instead of being enraged with opposition or indifference.

    Thanks for this insight of being persuaded! I will try this with each conversation.

    ReplyDelete