Friday, July 1, 2011

Stop – at least for a moment

At last, it is over – a moment of mental relaxation. The heavy rock on my shoulder was finally lifted when I exited the room. Although the day’s intention was to get information from me, but I think it ended up with me learning as well. I found out much about what was required in ICT, about what was considered important about ICT. I see alignment in my beliefs with others and gained feedback on improvements. And more importantly, I learnt about who I am. How I pushed myself towards my “extrovert” personality just for today! It was not easy and I am thankful that I don’t need to keep at that tomorrow. So, Stop! - the theme I will like to speak on for this week.

I heard of leaders who sometimes believe that they need to be doing something all the time. They said that if they are not active – not changing things for the better – they often feel that they are not doing their jobs. But for me, I think that this should not be the case. Instead, we should take at least a moment or TWO – and just stop. There is no point of just endlessly doing. I think that we should instead reflect on all the good that is occurring so far and more importantly, appreciate those teachers with who had helped to make these successes possible. For me, I am really proud and grateful of the ICT PLC team teachers which have helped to accomplished many things considering the short time since the PLC’s creation. In this way, I no longer feel that I am doing one thing solely to get to the next thing but am really experiencing the full benefit of all those little successes around me. I then hope to be able to carry that positive energy with me for the long journey along.

1 comment:

  1. Well done!
    Yes, work sometimes require us to take certain actions not natural to us. And it takes wisdom to know when to stop, just like you have done.

    Stopping to reflect is therefore imperative for any effective leader. To take stock of the situation, regain the focus and recharge the energies.

    Without pause, many leaders have charged ahead losing direction easily as the devastating effects of a shift by a mere degree is only visible after a long run; a simple geometrical concept often neglected in the name of speedy change and results.

    ReplyDelete