Saturday, January 4, 2014

Take advantage of new 2014

In education, we are privileged to experience two short and two long beginnings each year.  I look forward to such beginnings as I believe that such new beginning brings new possibilities. This is especially so for the start of the calendar year! So does the approach of each new term, though I feel that this is less dramatic. I always believe that all these 4 beginnings offer an incredible opportunity – for?

Well, to me, these beginnings served as opportunity for me to let go of what was not successful and rededicate myself to the potential of the future.

I see myself continually enriched by new students, new colleagues and new ideas. So, as the first weekend in 2014 gets underway today, I believe that this is the best opportunity for me to take a fresh look at my approach to my work – in student development, year head, student leadership development and character and citizenship education. For 2013, I felt that I was trying my best to learn as a Head of Department, and I was working to have a positive impact on my colleagues and students. I also know I have made some decisions in 2013 that didn’t work out as well as I have hoped for such as the follow up actions by cohort deans, on-time morning assembly initiatives, leadership training for my student councilors, subject heads not sharing the same view about collaborative work. So what should I do?

Well, the new beginning has allowed me to release myself from these burdens. I decided that I won’t lose track of the lessons learned from them, and would give myself self-permission to let go off the disappointment. I know that for the department to be outstanding, something has to be done to make everyone more effective and at the same time develop a climate in the department that supports positive change among us. I would make the year 2014 that has just begun the one in which I would start to make the sort of difference I hoped for my students and department.

One factor, which supports the change I believe will follow, is that I am fortunate to have an outstanding team in one of the areas of my purview. Hence, one specific objective in my professional work for 2014 that I think would be exciting to achieve is to commit myself though hands-on approach in the various areas under my purview and work effectively together with my colleagues!

No comments:

Post a Comment