Saturday, January 25, 2014

Learning – What is it to me?



During our meet up session, one of my teachers spoke about learning from his students as part of his professional mission. I too believe that in order to be effective, I need to learn as much as possible about the programs, committees under my purview in the area of student development. I feel that this learning must also include learning about the people whom are my teachers such as talking about their personal mission, asking teachers to meet to collaborate and share ideas. I see this learning as a way of growing in knowledge with my teachers.

Extending this idea of learning to my department, I would also ask to be invited by subject heads to the meeting of the units within my area of responsibility. I am clear that my goal to attend these meetings is not to make a presentation or even answer questions (unless those questions are particularly suitable to the topics on the agenda), but just to listen to the discussions as it unfolds.

By sitting quietly and attending to others as they talk, I hope then to gain a better insight into the issues that different units are grappling with at that moment. I can then learn more about how they address those issues than I would have reading through the meeting minutes send days later.

In addition, I am also clear that my goal during such meetings is not to critique on the operation of the unit, but simply to learn how things really work in student development department so that I may then lend my support the unit.  

No comments:

Post a Comment