Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Learn something new about leadership – 5 levels of Leadership


I have been seeking to learn more about developing my leadership skills for some time now, having consulted many sources. That is why I was particularly excited to come across the book “5 levels of leadership: Proven steps to maximize your potential” by John C Maxwell.  

As I started reading the book, I begin to see a leadership model which I thought could serve as a learning tool to broaden my leadership skills. In this book, he speaks on five levels of leadership, namely

1. Position – People follow because they have to.
2. Permission – People follow because they want to.
3. Production – People follow because of what you have done for the organization
4. People Development – People follow because of what you have done for them personally
5. Pinnacle – People follow because of who you are and what you represent

The book describes each of the five levels in details, articulating behaviors that best characterized the different levels. The reading also provides examples of what sometimes keep leaders from going to the next level. Perhaps more importantly, the book provides explanation on how to help me grow from one level to the next level of leadership with the people I lead (and the accompanying checklists for assessing my own leadership were especially helpful).

I was drawn by the discussion of the book on the importance of people, in teaching them, empowering them and growing them. During today’s SMC discussion on leadership, it struck me as to how leaders will always be limited by what can be done. As what was concluded today, a leader’s true influence on leading others is only possible if the leader himself is willing to move in the direction - guided by his moral compass. I am in total agreement.

Hence, as I endeavor to use the tools to help me lead, I hope to discover, ascertain and appreciate the positive impact it will have on my teachers…. To be continued.....

No comments:

Post a Comment