Tuesday, June 26, 2012

How will our story End?


After my seventh year in my stationary teaching journey where there were many exciting stories of me and my students, of me and my fellow teachers which I have been relating, I came to realize that such individual stories will not set me free. It will simply end. So I suppose it is time I stop to tell my story and let others tell my story.

Just as my many batches of students, who were simply on their educational journey, always moving along. Today, when I with 2 other teachers (their form teacher and subject teacher) were asked by my graduating students to speak their story in their graduating video – I came to see how these students see themselves as opposite of a popular and welcoming class – instead they think they have two or three strikes against them already by their fellow peers of other classes and worst, by their teachers.

As such, I saw the need to help these students “trade” their victim stories up to heroic. From repulsive to attractive. I told them in the video tapping:

            “ It has been two amazing years! I am definitely going to miss all of you because you have reminded me of why I went into teaching in the first place! You all are such a wonderful and talented group of students. I admire your tenacity in class and your involvement in our school. I am proud of all of you for hanging in there and not give up. Thanks for making me laugh and from bringing smiles to my face every day. I have many fond memories of all of you. You all will do well as I know, YOU ALL CAN DO IT ONE!”

And up, up and up the stories went… stronger and stronger I hope my students will become as they journey towards their examinations. Their moments of joys and action? And as the few students were filming, I could see it in their eyes… their true story.  Now to show the rest of the students… to be contined.

No comments:

Post a Comment