Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Seeing it as my own development!

As I just started out in my role as middle manager for about a year now, I never thought myself having the experience that will be invaluable to someone else. That was until I was asked to serve and share with another teacher and I was to provide this important service to others.

In a way, I supposed that this is what is termed as “servant leadership”. In addition, serving in this role caused me to become even more reflective about my own leadership and approaches to various challenges I had faced in implementation of ICT program in the school. While teachers come into the school with some or lots of leadership experience, actual ICT-based learning leadership is refined through deliberate practice and from internal or external peer-support. This approach is a new experience for everyone, young and experienced teachers alike. Utilizing these supports, I had gained both formal as well as informal sharing of ICT-based learning designs and strive to improve use and delivery of such ICT based lessons for enhancing my students’ learning.

As I endeavor to offer my service to the teacher who has expressed his interest in seeking to take up the middle manager role, I shall begin by thinking of all the things I wished I had known when I first began as an acting leadership role. Of course, I understand that each of us has to experience certain things on our own, but I can help shorten someone else’s learning curve and guide them away from mistakes. Although I have been told by others “not to spoon-feed teachers too much” and that experience is a powerful part of learning, I personally think that not all experience stimulates learning, and that leaving others to learn solely from their mistakes is clearly unsatisfactory. So, when I was told that this collaboration will be beneficial, I understood “why”. Moreover, I also see this sharing and exchanging of information with others as part of my own development.

No comments:

Post a Comment