Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Leading the learning of others

As my own journey as a teacher began 6 years ago, I thought that it is best to reflect upon my own earliest day of my teaching and learning.

I recalled my first year of my contract teaching when I started teaching in a neighborhood school classroom setting, eager to make a contribution and wanting to do my part to encourage students’ learning. It was no easy attempt, requiring courage and persistence. I attended many hands-on workshops and took lots of courses about teaching, but it was my experience with my tutor during my pre-service training and practicum that fundamentally influenced by beliefs in teaching and learning. His courses and teaching were based on practices of progressive education where I was given a basic understanding of how students move through a developmental process and how student learned to learn. Those classroom practices and philosophy now guided my practices – ranges from behaviorist to progressive.

My observations of my fellow colleagues made it clear that I was not alone in this educational journey. I observed the same behavior among some of the teachers regardless young or experienced as they developed their own teaching practice. While there are some teachers who also showed leadership in leading their own professional development, there are those who now struggled between the dilemma of loving the idea of being a teacher, but not necessarily liking the work as teacher. I supposed that every one of us come into the teaching fraternity with different values and purpose and so have different expectations of ourselves, our students and our teachers. This is why among teachers there is no agreement about the big idea of education! Those differences have played out every day in school in every way, shaping and molding the teaching and learning in the classrooms. There are those of us who believed that every student could learn and deserved an education, while others demonstrated a painful lack of faith in the students. It is such beliefs about teaching and learning among the teachers that will drive the teachers’ classroom practices in the school.

The young teachers, especially at various times and under varied circumstances, impressed me as they exercised their influence in their classroom. Even though they were just starting, some of them played informal roles as a “leading” teacher, as a leader of initiatives, and their willingness to serve in leading to express their perspectives in discussions on school policy issues. These teachers also lead in sharing their approaches to teaching instructions they have tried. There are those, sadly of experienced teachers who stubbornly suggested “We already know of it!” and “We do know what we are doing!” Again I find a heightened collaborative culture in school as these young teachers take lead role in designing specific lessons with other teachers.

These observations have offered me a powerful reminder, that regardless of newest or experienced of teachers can lead so long as they advocate for students, taking the path of owing the learning experience, developing and going beyond the classroom to enable our students learn.

So, my fellow teachers, do reflect on your own earliest days of your teaching profession when you were also leading the learning of others, teachers and student. Are we still leading the charge now?

No comments:

Post a Comment