Thursday, September 22, 2011

Let our students make our day!

It can be all too easy for teachers or even middle managers to get caught up in negativity. After all, students and teachers alike bring you their problems all day long. We hear complaint after complaint. We even have to deal with people who fail to honor their commitment in their duty! After hearing such distressing news day after day, week after week, not only from students, but also fellow teachers, nearly anyone would be cynical. Consider how a recent survey found many Singaporeans are a cynic!

Why do not students even think of coming to a teacher with good news? Likewise, why does not a teacher even think of going to the middle manager with good news? They do go to school leaders with good news!

Well, I do not think I will wait, just for someone (student or teacher) to approach me. Instead, I went to look for some on my own. While others may prefer to form their opinions solely on personal feeling or hearsay, I went to conduct a survey from all my students to gain a better understanding of my own teaching and learning. In addition, I engaged them in a conversation about the best educational experience he or she has had.
Or when a teacher came to see me about some issue whatever, I extended that visit a few minutes by asking about that teacher’s favorite moment of the day.

Indeed, I found this practice very valuable and decided to make it part of my regular routine. It has provided me with insights that I did not realized before. Moreover, if I were to continue with both survey evaluation and conversation, I believe that I will quickly learn what is the best part of my teaching and learning and more importantly, what it need to make it better.

Finally, whenever I hear a student also say something else wonderful about another teacher, I make it a point to share what I have learnt with that teacher, so to make his or her day. And resulting in a break from the cycle of negativity!

1 comment:

  1. This a most powerful mindset: abundant positivities.
    We need to be that small spark in this overwhelming darkness.
    I, for all these while, have not allowed the darkness to creep in. This ignorant bliss may be seen as denial by others.
    I chose to focus on the small light in each one. And you have taken it further by lighting the worlds of others around you.
    Inspirational.

    ReplyDelete