Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Leadership Philosophy – Is it necessary?

Started in Term 4, the middle managers of the North Zone were told to reflect on our own personal leadership philosophy for the dialogue with the Supt. It was observed that some middle managers have actually not or difficulty with expressing their leadership philosophy. I agree that it did take some effort to start penning down, especially if we have never actually expressed our leadership philosophy before.

But is it necessary? – was the question from some of the middle managers. To me, it was helpful as it enable me to begin to consider exactly why schools have middle managers and school leaders! What do we middle managers and school leaders add to the school? How can school be helped by good middle managers and school leaders and hampered by bad ones? Hence, by considering these questions, it may lead me to home in on how I view my own role as a middle manager!

For example, some middle managers and school leaders viewed themselves as the arbiter in the school, where decisions are made when an exception to the rule is permissible. There are also some of them who see themselves as people developer, motivating others to achieve goals. And there are some who see themselves as repairman, fixing one problem after another as they encounter them. A few are visionary, always looking into the future and considering what it might be.

Undoubtedly, we will conclude that we middle managers must assume each of these roles from one time to time. Some actually felt that it is a waste of time, a waste of effort as they did not have any idea of such leadership philosophy but only took ideas from the internet! But I believed that I need to reflect and know which of those examples I had illustrated tends to be my default position! And by gaining feedback from others will definitely make the whole picture clearer. In this way, it will help me understand better why I do things the way I do, and more importantly, what I am trying to accomplish.

1 comment:

  1. As leaders we are always called to do the many tasks you have described. And that is why we need to have a clear philosophy of how and why we lead. The philosophy is a compass for us especially in times of stress, pressure and conflicting interests. Many leaders and managers without a strong philosophy rooted in values and purpose have gone off track, chasing goals that have detrimental impact on others.
    The exercise in considering and reviewing our philosophy strengthens our resolution to stay on the philosophy. It's not a paper exercise, it's exercising the mind and heart so that we are clear and make decisions on our feet.

    ReplyDelete