Monday, April 28, 2014

What is inside Me?



Last week, one of my teacher’s reflections was about how and why he became a school counselor. His first reflection speaks about his upbeat and purposeful feelings whenever he counsel students. I believed that this is so because his main motivation in becoming a school counselor is to counsel students – hence through counseling students he found the work rewarding and meaningful. 

My first reflection of T2, I spoke about teaching is never easy, but right now it is an especially tough time to be a teacher. Among the many “businesses”, it is indeed easy for us to lose perspective of where we are really going.

I have had experienced hard times when I barely was able to keep myself in survival mode or defensive attitudes of negative teachers with no sense of direction. But other times being a teacher provided me with the chance to feel empowered and to develop one of the finest human qualities, such as human connection, shared wonderment with students, and commitment by fellow teachers. I realized that it is the later that held the greatest positive potential of my position as teacher – the way I can touch and open my students’ minds as well as hearts and energize myself at the same time.

My reflections provided me with a great help in making sense of present and past teaching experience. So is remaining in touch with what is still growing inside me – the qualities and longing to grow and manifest for future times.

As I experienced the different roles and responsibilities this year, I become more aware of my own true potential, and so the more I can “self-talk” myself about all the good things I have to offer, hence the greater the possibility of it becoming a reality. That is what I think made the difference between “Some people want it to happen, some wish it would happen and others make it happen.” – a quote from my favorite NBA Basketball Player.

Hence, it is also important for me have a vision of my potential and that of my students. For me, it is about learning more and feeling better, both physically and emotionally. I want to widen my knowledge, focusing on the importance of positive teacher student relationships aimed at building a productive climate and meeting the needs of the students. Last week’s reflection, I mentioned about wanting my students to know that learning does not just stop at the end of schooling – that learning is lifelong process and that we are all never too old to learn and I want to model it for my students.  I also want to take care of myself and rest appropriately so that I have all the energy that’s needed for everyday teaching and for my family after work. I believe that it is such vision that will keep me focused and energized in my daily work with a strong sense of purpose.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment