Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Playing Rolling Ball



My previous reflection on Work and Family (2 November 2011) focuses on constant juggling between parenting, teaching and leadership in which each informs me of the other, and each also strengthens the other. My main challenge highlighted then is to maintain this attitude that each of the three facets (parenting, teaching and leadership) complements each other with my growing roles and responsibilities. Below is an example of how parenting informs me of how values can conflict with habits.

During school days, I will normally do my work during weekdays and always make it a point to go out with my family every weekend, often for a walk or bike ride in the park or to do some shopping or having a meal to build better relationship with them. This school holiday, having spent much time out-doors with my family during the weekdays, we decided to stay at home for the weekends. Inevitably, my younger child would try to get me to play ball with him. Habitually, I will respond, “Well, where do you want to go to play ball?”

On hearing that, he will respond, “nowhere!” and goes off to play “in-door” ball with his brother. He didn’t get to play rolling soft-ball and have fun rolling them with me at home.

After that incident, I decided to change my response. No matter when it is, whether it is outdoor or at home, there are many choices of play activities for the family. What was important is that these played activities choices are fun and enjoyable for the family. Otherwise, I will not having any good memories of “playing roll ball” with my younger kid!  

No comments:

Post a Comment