Thursday, April 12, 2012

Review of student ICT program

After all the ICT infrastructure, teacher professional development (ICT mentor, departmental training) and student ICT teaching and learning during the last one and a half years, I began to relook at the impact of my promise of ICT on improving teaching and learning process in my school.

The reason why I revisited the ICT program, especially in the areas of student curriculum is because I felt that one of the main obstacles to developing the use of ICT to facilitate learning within my school is the lack of clarity in defining success of students’ competence use of ICT. Moreover, many of us, teachers, middle managers and school leaders alike left the classroom before ICT really began to impact student learning, and therefore may lack the practical knowledge and understand of how ICT can transform students’ learning.

Therefore, I felt the need to build a direction within the ICT student curriculum program that endorsed a primary focus on students’ competence use of ICT and defined what constitutes as its success – using competency levels. In addition, I also believe that reviewing the direction of what the program areas is to go is a fundamental task which should be role-modeled. Through this active engagement, I hope to develop a much greater understanding and clarity about what is meant by successful use of ICT in learning as it applies to both the development for students as well as professional development for teachers. Also through this approach, I hope to identify areas of opportunities for my team and to develop, articulate and inspire other teachers with my vision of the programs and in the process to become more confident in leading the development of such programs. Of central importance is the cooperation and alignment of others to my set of beliefs and direction in these programs.

No comments:

Post a Comment