Saturday, February 25, 2012

Stops – A necessity in school


Friday was a very busy day for me. With back to back lessons, student exam registration, cohort matters and especially still recovering from the “bug”, my first thought being so busy was “That is not possible! How to stop when there is so much to do?” And if I want to be good at this, is there even much more that needs to be done? Certainty, there are many teachers who felt this way.

Fortunately for me, I was “stopped” by 3 meaningful events in school which helped me to end the day more energetic than when I started in the morning. The first was by my students, who “stopped” my lesson so as to celebrate my birthday. Their sincere actions made me turn a tiring day into beautiful banquet of life experience. Their actions of songs and a “bear” propelled me to wanting to spend more of my time to prepare for my students’ tomorrow and I know that I will enjoy those spend time. Their well-wishing cards expressing their thoughts and appreciations had brought me a high sense of job satisfaction.

The second “stop” was by fellow teachers who also devoted a few moments also to celebrate my birthday with me, enjoying each other’s company. These two teachers have worked with me for just two months now and have made my life easier. I know that I would need to thank them more often. I promised myself that I would endeavor to employ techniques to understand, shape and support help my teachers develop professionally – to be partners, collaborative effort to make a critical difference for our students. Finally, I was “stopped” by my fellow management members who celebrated 3 fellow members birthday. Such support and shared celebrations culture which is been cultivated is something which I value. It speaks of an inclusion and moral culture.

After all these “stops”, I came to consider how fortunate I was to be doing just what I am today – with my students, my fellow teachers and my fellow committee members. And having such thoughts had made me realized that even my business, the challenges faced and frustrations are actually gifts because they acts as fuel to propel me to improve myself in at least some way.

No comments:

Post a Comment