Friday, June 17, 2011

Take Advantage of new beginnings

I feel privileged that in education, I get to experience several beginnings (Term 1, 2, 3, 4) each year. The beginning of each term brings new possibilities. So the start of each term offers incredible opportunity to do better than before. Because of such breaks, I think that I can let go of what was not successful before and rededicate myself to the goals of my profession – educating and molding the future. After the break, we are refreshed and enriched. So as Term 3 and 4 gets underway in two weeks time, I will spend a few moments looking for opportunities to take a fresh start at my approach to ICT implementation in the school. I hope to release myself from decisions made that did not work as well as I had hope. I hope not to lose track of the lessons learnt from them, and more importantly to let go of any disappointments attached to them. Make the new term that just begun the one in which to improve upon and the sort of difference I have always hoped for.

Knowing my limits

I believe everyone knows that there are both things that we can control and things that are beyond our control. It is important to know such difference. Sometimes in our eagerness to advance an idea, we waste valuable energy trying to transform things that are impervious to change. Like it or not, there are those who wont be brought on board an endeavor no matter how persuasively we do it. Some of them are so committed and convinced to their causes they already supported (direct teaching) that it is impossible to interest them in things (such as ICT) with a different focus (self-directed and collaborative learning).

To me, what is critical is to make a resolution that I will need to let certain things go and stop frustrating myself to devote useless energy to something that cannot be changed. By doing this, I will now have much more energy, time and enthusiasm to spend on things that I can make a positive difference.

In the following weeks, I hope to continue identifying through reflections other specific objectives in my professional teaching that would be exciting to achieve and work towards achieving that goal for the rest of the year.

1 comment:

  1. Ah yes, the circle of influence. This is an important concept that many have failed to grasp and thus lose sleep, energy and precious time over things outside this circle. First, we must know how big each of our circle is. Second, we work fervently on things within this circle. And finally, we seek to expand this circle. We need to recognize that each of our circles are different and hence, we can seek others' help in getting those outside our circle but lie within the circle of someone else to make the change or influence ;)

    ReplyDelete