Friday, April 8, 2011

Review of my leadership role

After 14 weeks (though it seemed longer…) in the role of acting team leader, with diverse responsibilities above and below me, alongside my own teaching duties, I feel a need to review the implications for my leadership role in ICT implementation.

I believed that in order to be successful, especially in leveling up ICT implementation in school, I need to be effective in bringing about changes to the processes of teaching and learning as well as the mindsets of teachers. Although my style and approaches may not be the same as other team leaders, I feel what is key is the clear vision and values I hold that will make the difference.

I need to have this “ICT-applicable instinct” and lead in pedagogical changes in ICT. The hands-on approach is one of the ways I intend to lead such a charge. I need to focus on instructional improvements, building collaboration (though I came to realize that this may take much effort) and good relationships. I see a need to be optimistic about the change and enthusiastic in bringing about the change. Persistence in the buying in of teachers and tough minded to say “no” when needed.

A top down approach is not the way to sustain the ICT implementation. Instead there must be a purposeful and deliberate effort to distribute responsibilities and accountability widely. That is why ICT mentors and Activists’ involvement are important. However, I also need to be realistic about such involvement by teachers. These distributed responsibilities and accountability also need to be “initiated and nurtured” over time. This is why I view my principal’s involvement as been important as he helps to drive and share these responsibilities and accountability among heads and teachers. Then, with right judgements, readiness and capabilities of teachers, there will be a progressive teacher involvement in ICT implementation.

1 comment:

  1. You have clarity of thought and the tenacity to see things through, no matter how challenging they may be. These are 2 qualities that mark you as a leader.
    Modeling the way is the most fundamental practice for a credible leader. That is why I attempt continuously to be involved in key strategies that teachers are struggling with: AfL trainings, EL trainings, ICT explorations, Pupil Development & Management.
    Your decision to show them the way by being an example is the right way forward. Keep placing yourself in the shoes of ICT-immigrant teachers and you will see a whole perspective to motivating and enablin them.

    ReplyDelete